Thread: Wiring a project after proving concept with breadboarding

Wiring a project after proving concept with breadboarding

I have been working on automating a powder filling machine in another thread using Arduino. I have gotten all the parts and code to play nice, and I have also been able to successfully use the system. I am now in the process of designing my final product. To this point, I have been using Dupont connectors between my various switches, displays, buttons, and other components to the Arduino Uno. Are these wires robust enough for me to use in my final project, or should I be using a different type of wire for these connections?
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

I had to look up to see what connector that was. In my opinion, they are great for prototyping, but I am not sure how much I would trust the connection long-term without some glue or something to hold them together. I imagine your application will have some level of vibration and that would worry me as well.

I over connectorize my projects, but I like to feel like I can pull pieces apart quickly to test or replace. I just do it way overkill sadly.

If it is only a pair of wires running to a particular connection, I kind of like spade terminal pairs. That isn't the best solution if you are running a ton of wires around though. If you need a lot of points, I kind of like using the European screw-in types that get used on a lot of the pixel boards, or some other screwed connection.

Any way you go, make sure you have a wiring diagram for when you are trying to figuring something out in 2 years and the project isn't fresh anymore .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rudolph member
    It is nice to use polarized connectors so you can't reverse the connections. You might want to think about using different connectors for different functions so you cannot mistakenly plug the wrong things together. Try to keep the source of voltage and current a female or shrouded shell so if the pin was live it could not short out to anything.