Thread: Server Maintenance - 7/16

DIGWDF Engineer member dirknerkle's Avatar

Server Maintenance - 7/16

Our host ISP has notified us that they'll be upgrading our server to the Ubuntu 18.04 operating system on July 16th. They say that the upgrade should take only about an hour but we don't know what time of the day they'll be doing the upgrade. So if you can't connect to the forum on the 16th or encounter errors, now you know why.

Remember that our backup server is at http://diychristmas2.org and we keep it quite up-to-date as a service to our members. It runs like a top!

If you're interested, our backup server is running on Ubuntu 16.04. I'm actually a bit concerned about this upgrade insofar as I tried 18.04 for the backup server and had trouble with it. But, we don't have a choice in the matter, so let's all keep our fingers crossed that the DreamHost people know what they're doing.
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

In an attempt to ready the forum for the new server operating system upgrade, I installed the latest vBulletin upgrade, which is supposed to be compatible with the new Ubuntu 18.04 OS as well as php7.1, which is what Ubuntu 18.04 uses. All the prior upgrades went without a hitch, so I didn't think this would be any different. But it was. This upgrade wasn't available until quite recently, so it's no wonder I had trouble last year when I was messing with 18.04.

The upgrade was going well until >>>SBBPPTPTTTPTPPPPBBPTTT<<< it crashed 18 steps into the process. I sent the vBulletin folks the error codes that appeared, along with requisite screen shots, and they sent me a fix this morning which I applied. So we're back in operation.

I apologize for the suddenness of the problem, folks. Now we can keep our fingers crossed that the Ubuntu 18.04 upgrade on July 16th will be successful, too.

Thanks for your patience!

-dave
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 07-05-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Now the next unknown issue is whether our Chat Room software will be compatible with the new server upgrade. This is more problematic since the company that wrote the software no longer exists -- and hasn't existed for the past 3 years -- so there will be zero support for it.

But what the heck, the software has run virtually maintenance and trouble free for 5 years, so that's a pretty good run for an Internet application! If the chat room doesn't work after the upgrade, we'll figure out something else.

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Now the next unknown issue is whether our Chat Room software will be compatible with the new server upgrade. This is more problematic since the company that wrote the software no longer exists -- and hasn't existed for the past 3 years -- so there will be zero support for it.

But what the heck, the software has run virtually maintenance and trouble free for 5 years, so that's a pretty good run for an Internet application! If the chat room doesn't work after the upgrade, we'll figure out something else.
    Thanks again for your support Dave,

Mac
    Mac Macmillan,

Renard Plus Design Engineer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "Thomas Edison" PRNDL
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, Donate HERE

With 168 Channels

RP Logo By Air_Run, Animation by TazChaLet
    Renard_Plus_Info------ Renard_Plus_Shopping