Thread: Building HEX code for Renard TR16 PIC programming

Junior Elf member

Question Building HEX code for Renard TR16 PIC programming

I've been researching the two Renard 16 channel controllers since January 2019, and I have decided to go with the TR16 model. However, I haven't ordered the controller yet because I wanted to see if I could figure-out the PIC programming beforehand. I downloaded MPLAB X IDE v5.15 and found the all-in-one firmware on the Renard-plus page. Because I want to use the controller for my show and different events, I find it easier to use DMX because both my controller and my PC (dongle) can support it. If anybody knows how to edit and build the code into a HEX file that would be great!

• Do I need to download a different version of MPLAB from microchip?
    • Is there anything really important that I should change in the code besides the start DMX address?

Below are the setting that need to be adjusted for DMX, but if you reach out to Phoenix, he can get you the hex file(s) you need

;;************** DMX MODE ***************
    ;;#DEFINE DMX ;; ******uncomment for DMX******
    #ifdef DMX
    #DEFINE BAUDRATE 250000

;; Uncomment to hard code the DMX address. Otherwise it will be read
    ;; from the EEROM locations
    ;; #DEFINE HARD_CODE_DMX_ADDR ;;only needed for devices without EEPROM

#DEFINE DMX_START_ADDRESS D'001' ;;change for DMX starting channel in Vixen 1-512
    ; -- EE Address Mappings --
    #DEFINE EE_DMX_HIGH (0x00)
    #DEFINE EE_DMX_LOW (0x01)

#else
    Matt

Briar Creek Lights
    2017 My 2nd Year
    2016 150 Renard channels (and a few pixels,110)
    Honorary DIGWDF engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Christmastree583 View Post
    I've been researching the two Renard 16 channel controllers since January 2019, and I have decided to go with the TR16 model. However, I haven't ordered the controller yet because I wanted to see if I could figure-out the PIC programming beforehand. I downloaded MPLAB X IDE v5.15 and found the all-in-one firmware on the Renard-plus page. Because I want to use the controller for my show and different events, I find it easier to use DMX because both my controller and my PC (dongle) can support it. If anybody knows how to edit and build the code into a HEX file that would be great!

• Do I need to download a different version of MPLAB from microchip?
    • Is there anything really important that I should change in the code besides the start DMX address?
    I use mplab v8.92 and you can find it HERE I have added the build file in the zip folder attached which is setup for DMX for a TR16 board. If you have any questions please ask.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mac Macmillan,

Renard Plus Design Engineer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "Thomas Edison" PRNDL
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, Donate HERE

With 168 Channels

RP Logo By Air_Run, Animation by TazChaLet
    Renard_Plus_Info------ Renard_Plus_Shopping

Junior Elf member
    Thanks for the advice! I uncommented the DMX code so that it activates it during operation and built a HEX file that I believe will work. I will soon begin building the Renard plus TR16 controller and see if everything's working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Christmastree583 View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I uncommented the DMX code so that it activates it during operation and built a HEX file that I believe will work. I will soon begin building the Renard plus TR16 controller and see if everything's working correctly.
    Let me know if you need any help!!!

Mac
    Mac Macmillan,

Renard Plus Design Engineer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "Thomas Edison" PRNDL
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, Donate HERE

With 168 Channels

RP Logo By Air_Run, Animation by TazChaLet
    Renard_Plus_Info------ Renard_Plus_Shopping