Thread: power injection with power bucks: cut +V wire or not?

Senior Elf member

power injection with power bucks: cut +V wire or not?

When using power bucks (connected to the same 24V power supply) for power injections, is it necessary to cut the +V wire and only keep the ground wire common, or can the +V remain connected as shown in the picture attached?
    Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	power injection with powerbucks rev01.pdf 
Views:	53 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	14878

You need to keep the regulator output +ve connections isolated so each is only powering the relevant segment.
    This signature brought to you by da-share - the home of da_E131 and da_DMX.
    Check out the new da-share shop for Christmas & Halloween related products.

Senior Elf member
    The V+ must be cut because each buck will try to correct differences in voltages on all the other bucks. This typically leads to a runaway condition that can end in failure of one or more bucks and damage to your pixels. So if one buck is trying to regulate at 23.9 volts and another at 24.1, the 24.1 volt buck will try to pull up the 23.9 volt buck while the 23.9 volt buck will try to pull down the 24.1 volt buck. The chasing never ends until something gives up, usually in a bad way. Even small voltage differences can cause this to occur. This same issue applies to any regulated power supplies. V+ must be kept separate but V- must be connected to maintain a common ground level.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Senior Elf member
    Thank you for your reply.
    Keeping the power bucks (+V) separated is not a big deal, however it changes how I should do the wiring if I want power to feed both beginning and end of string.
    Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Folsom, CA - - - - ............. . . Cell Block 7
    At 50 Pixels on 5V supply I wouldn't worry about feeding power to both ends . If your wire size is large enough, you don't need it. Wiring both ends is a hassle, avoid when possible. If your buck units can't produce enough current, reduce your brightness. I run a lot of props at 60% and the look just fine.

Also, do not set your buck units to 5.0V use 5.2V
    Iím in Therapy......Playing with these lights is cheaper than a psychiatrist

Senior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    At 50 Pixels on 5V supply I wouldn't worry about feeding power to both ends . If your wire size is large enough, you don't need it. Wiring both ends is a hassle, avoid when possible.
    I have some pixels with 22 ga wiring and 50 of them is pushing it, but I am going to avoid wiring both ends if I can. I agree it is a hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post

Also, do not set your buck units to 5.0V use 5.2V
    Good idea. I know I had some issues that went away doing that on bucks powering pixelsticks. I need to try that and see if it helps on powering the strings.

As always, thanks for your help!