Thread: Working on 2020 show...

DIGWDF Engineer member dirknerkle's Avatar

Working on 2020 show...

What can I say? 2019 is already in the can with an severely abbreviated show, so I'm working on 2020 instead.

I've already got the PixelFlakes done, and today, I got out the Singing Choir and recolored the ropelight. I think I made the choir in 2010 or 2011 and it still looking pretty good with its original paint. But now it'll be much more vivid, just like it was when it was brand new. It's a big project to move that thing. It's 9' tall, about 5' wide and weighs a ton, and Mrs. Dirk helped me out there... She likes the Singing Choir.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	choir_refurb.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	14817

While I was at it, I refurbed the ropelight for Joseph, Mary and Jesus, too. The ropelight manger animals I made last year don't need it -- I used pre-colored ropelight when I made them. I need to repair part of the ropelight Noel sign before I refurb the colors on it. For some reason, one of the three bells doesn't light. That'll be a good job for tomorrow afternoon.
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and Gerber/DipTrace files: http://digwdf.org/store

Old Man Winter member
    Repaint looks good.

Repaired my big Noel sign -- one of the bells had gone out. We're good again!

Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and Gerber/DipTrace files: http://digwdf.org/store

Rudolph member
    I guess I'm still a newb, how does one recolour ropelight?

I use Dupli-Color Metalcast paint. It's a transparent paint that's often used by hot-rodders to paint engine parts. Very cool stuff. Comes in a variety of colors. Sometimes available at your local auto parts store. For me, it makes it easy to make colored ropelight displays. I use clear white ropelight, make the design and then paint it later. Works fantastic and easily lasts about 5-6 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1404.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	14830