Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789

Thread: Adventures in 3D printing

DIGWDF Engineer member dirknerkle's Avatar
    The printer is now for sale -- posted in the For Sale forum.

Spoken for. No longer available.
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 07-03-2019 at 12:15 PM.
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Ender 3 Spool Holder solution

After a time, the factory spool holder gets worn from friction and binds and squeaks when more filament is pulled down. So, after trying a couple 3D printed spool holder designs, I tossed in the towel on them as worthless and made this out of a 5/16 bolt, a few washers and nuts, some old skateboard bearings I found in the garage that my kids no longer need (geez, they're both in their mid-30's and shouldn't be riding skateboards anymore anyway!), and a few 3D printed spacers between the bearings. Bolted it onto the printer and solved the problem completely with something that not only eliminates noise, it virtually eliminates friction as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spoolholder.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	14885
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Well, I'm back. Whoopee....

The son who wanted the printer took it to his place back in early July. He played with it for a couple months. Now he brought it back and said, "This sucks. It takes forever and you can't trust it to print by itself, unattended. I come home from work and all I have is garbage and stringy plastic stuff stuck all over."

I replied, "Yeah, that's generally been my experience, too."

So now I have the printer back. Minus a few spools of filament.

But since he took it, I came up with another project that might be workable, so I'm making it now. It's a boat hook. ("A whaaaa?" you ask????) Yep. It's nice to have a hook on a pole to lift things out of the water that shouldn't be there, such as flotsam, broken anchor or ski ropes, etc. You hit stuff like that when you're driving and it can wreak havoc on your prop or lower unit. It's also nice to have a pusher-pole to help push the boat off rocks or branches when you're fishing really close to shore and a wave pushes you up into or onto them. So I'm trying this design:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat_hook.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	15053

It's not quite as slick as the commercial ones which often come with extendable shafts and are nicely finished (and cost $50 or more) but I think this will work for my purposes and will cost only a couple bucks. After it's done, if it works I'll attach the STL file to this post in case others are interested. Printing time is about 9 hours.

Side note: After my son brought the printer back, I set it up again but couldn't remember how to use it or how to turn it on. I knew I had to upload the STL file to it, but I couldn't remember the IP address of the Octoprint/PI that is attached to it, nor did I remember that both the PI and the printer needed to be powered up individually. Luckily, my browser had stored the user name and password to access the Octoprint software or I'd be messing with SneakerNet and the micro-SD card... How quickly we forget stuff....

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789