Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: DIGWDF Bus Detector

You may end up with the cars Honking for the Bus to leave.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

DIGWDF Engineer member dirknerkle's Avatar

DIGWDF Bus Detector How-To PDF

Here's what I distributed to attendees at the Minnesnowda Mini this past weekend. It explains how to make one of these things, although not in tremendous detail. It's a true, DIY seat-of-the-pants project but from the PDF, you should get a pretty good understanding of one way to proceed. The PDF includes a BOM as accurately as I can provide...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bus_detector_info.pdf  
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Set the bus detector's pole out in the yard today. It's just a 7' fence post pole inside a little custom 8" PVC sleeve that I made for it out of various PVC junctions. I greased the pole so I can pull it out after the concrete has set completely because it's a darned snug fit. At the top of the pole is the flat, red mount onto which I'll bolt the detector, which actually will end up being about 5" higher due to the adjustable mount. My target scanning height is the street sign in the background as the buses are at least that tall and the sign is higher than the tops of most automobiles. I think it will also be high enough so it won't get the snowplow's crud when the streets are plowed, and our driveway plowing service never gets this close to the mailbox, so I think it's in a safe spot. We'll find out pretty quickly, but if this pole isn't high enough, it's a simple matter to pull it out and replace it with a taller one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bus_detector_post.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	14893

A future year bonus will be that I'll be able to mount some sort of display into the hole later -- after I've chased the buses away, of course...
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Senior Elf member
    Unrelated question...What's the name of those flowers under your mailbox?
    Ed
    Happily retired

Those are day lilies. They grow like weeds and bloom all the time. That patch started with about 3 plants 10 years ago. They come in many colors and are almost completely maintenance free.

Senior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Those are day lilies. They grow like weeds and bloom all the time. That patch started with about 3 plants 10 years ago. They come in many colors and are almost completely maintenance free.
    Thanks. I got your reply as I was standing in the middle of the garden center. Perfect timing!
    Ed
    Happily retired

They also can be divided and replanted every couple of years. They are a great plant to share with family and friends.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes
    2018 - 256 Renard and 9 Falcon Outputs of Pixels - 16 sequences shown over 2 nights

Mounted the detector on the pole today for testing. Wirks guuuuud. After I took these photos, I painted the pole white so it will blend into the snow better later on. People will hardly be able to see it.

Name:	pole1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	14896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pole2.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	14897

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Mounted the detector on the pole today for testing. Wirks guuuuud. After I took these photos, I painted the pole white so it will blend into the snow better later on. People will hardly be able to see it.

Name:	pole1.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	14896 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pole2.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	14897
    Nice job Dave!!!!
    Mac Macmillan,

Renard Plus Design Engineer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "Thomas Edison" PRNDL
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, Donate HERE

With 168 Channels

RP Logo By Air_Run, Animation by TazChaLet
    Renard_Plus_Info------ Renard_Plus_Shopping

Frosty member
    Looks good sir!

Joel

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678