Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Matrix problem

  1. #1
    Junior Elf member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    14

    Matrix problem

    I built a megatree a couple of years ago. It worked perfectly until now. It has 12 columns of 50 pixels each. It is divided across two ports on my Falcon, each runs 300 pixels. Plenty of power injection. The last two columns on one of my strings suddenly started flaking out. When poking around with the wiring, it suddenly started working, no idea what caused that. After a few hours it's now back to displaying random data on the last string of 100 pixels (two columns left of center.

    The last pixel of the column leading to these columns is not lighting, ever. The 199 before it are fine. I'm guessing that the data being pushed through this pixel is not making it out to the final 100 leds. I'm also guessing that that the colors showing on the final 100 is noise. It's strange that the further along the last 100 pixels, the less likely they are to receive data. Since each pixel regenerates the data, that seems strange to me.

    Assuming that the last functioning pixel is at position 199, do you think this is the bad one, or the one at 200 that never lights at all? I'm guessing that the one at location 200 is the bad one since it never lights, but seems to be sending random stuff on to the final 100 pixels.

    To recap, one string of 300 works perfectly, and the first 199 of the other half work perfectly. It just seems unlikely (too coincidental) that the end pixel (200) is the one that went bad, but stranger things happen. I can post a video to youtube if I'm not making myself clear.

  2. #2
    Senior Elf member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    West Bloomfield, MI
    Posts
    124
    Definitely sounds like a bad pixel. Some folks replace the first one that doesn't work along with the one before it to minimize redo. I have had good luck to date just replacing the first one that doesn't work and it has corrected all issues without having to replace another pixel. YMMV
    Ed
    Happily retired

  3. #3
    Junior Elf member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    14
    Thanks, I replaced the last one on the string (wasn't lighting at all), that seems to have fixed it. What I did was cut the string before the one that wasn't lighting and connected two good pixels that we're cutoffs from a chromaflake. They both worked fine during the color wash test, so I cut one off, and removed the apparently bad pixel and spliced it all back together. The whole matrix is awash with correct colors. Now I gotta solder it up and seal it.

    On another note, I had one pixel stop working with green during the first year of usage. Now I have two that can't do green. I don't really feel like fixing them this year. I'm already way behind on setting up.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Senior Elf member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Southwestern Virginia
    Posts
    199
    Same here. Had a pixel completely fail, replaced first dark one - fixed the rest of the line. I also have 1 pixel which has decided to forgo showing red. 99.9% chance I am the only one who would ever notice it... so it's staying there until end of the season. I'll just wrap a rubberband around it so I know which to replace after teardown. I suspect there will be others before it's all said and done.

  5. #5
    Junior Elf member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    14
    Another failure, this time in the middle of a string. Really makes a mess because it's letting random data through on occasion. Then the trailing pixels are stuck on in various colors. I have to take the tree down to fix this one since it's near the top. This the third season for this prop. I think the wind after a day of rain is responsible. All my other strings lining the house fascia are doing fine.

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •