Quote Originally Posted by bwinter View Post
I’ve played with audacity to generate a midi file—mixed results.

I think you’re confusing a midi file with an audio file (mp3). A midi file imports as a timing track (just like a “tap” track that you would use to lay down a beat.

You can use a midi file to generate an audio track—using a midi PLAYER (and exporting to mp3). But a midi file is basically just an electronic version of sheet music: it tells you were the notes are, but it’s not the actual music itself.

I use midi in multiple ways. Here’s the most basic: I have the standard audio file loaded into my sequencer. I’ve used that same audio sequence to generate a midi file using midi software (outside of xlights—various ways to do this, but manual is easiest for simple phrases you want to recreate with light). If I have 10 trees, I would manually create the “notes” for this using 10 midi notes, corresponding to the audio track and whatever I’m wanting to highlight.

I then export that midi file from my midi software, and import that into xlights. It looks like a normal “tap” track—but it also includes the notes for each track. Then I simply assign each note (midi number) to a tree. Each tree then responds to the audio track, turning on/off, based on the notes in that timing track.
I think you nailed my point of confusion right on the head. I thought MIDI was an audio format. This is making a lot more sense to me now. Thanks for the clear and descriptive explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk