Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you want a sequencing challenge....

If you want a sequencing challenge....

Ötry sequencing to a banjo track!

Holy cow, this is by far the most time consuming and tricky sequencing I've done. I had a request come in for "No Reservation at the Inn" by the Statler Brothers. I'd never heard it before but when I listened to it, I thought it was unique and would be a fun addition to the show. So I'm going with it. I've been working on it for the past few nights. The banjo was just begging to be sequenced across my row of mini trees. Even with sequencing at 50% speed, it's still really tricky to get it lined up and looking like a banjo track. But it's coming along pretty well. This is one of those little detail things that only I will ever know how much work went into it.

.midi

if feels like we had this conversation before. How would midi help me here? I don't have the original midi source track. And it's a banjo. It's not like i could plunk it out onto a midi keyboard. I suppose if I knew how to play a banjo, it'd probably be a lot easier since I'd be able to recognize the patterns better.

Your Christmas trees aren't a banjo either. But yet, you're able to apply artistic license to "line up your trees to look like a banjo track"--and that's the effect you're trying to achieve.

Use the banjo track in the song, to create a representation of the track in midi. This is very similar to "tapping out the beats" like we do in x-lights. But instead of tapping just the beat, you would also tap the note for each tree.

I can easily "tap" any song using my ten fingers. If I were to apply that "tap" to a piano, will it sound like the actual song? Not likely. But if I have 10 trees flashing to that "tap," will is convey what we do when we when we animate Christmas lights? Absolutely.

I've already done what you're doing right now: manually creating notes/tracks on trees/globes (my intro to Let It Go, and my short Close Encounters theme). And it's overly tedious. But when you leverage a .midi file, the process is greatly simplified in only a fraction of the time. And you can open up new possibilities that haven't been explored yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bwinter View Post
    Your Christmas trees aren't a banjo either. But yet, you're able to apply artistic license to "line up your trees to look like a banjo track"--and that's the effect you're trying to achieve.

Use the banjo track in the song, to create a representation of the track in midi. This is very similar to "tapping out the beats" like we do in x-lights. But instead of tapping just the beat, you would also tap the note for each tree.

I can easily "tap" any song using my ten fingers. If I were to apply that "tap" to a piano, will it sound like the actual song? Not likely. But if I have 10 trees flashing to that "tap," will is convey what we do when we when we animate Christmas lights? Absolutely.

I've already done what you're doing right now: manually creating notes/tracks on trees/globes (my intro to Let It Go, and my short Close Encounters theme). And it's overly tedious. But when you leverage a .midi file, the process is greatly simplified in only a fraction of the time. And you can open up new possibilities that haven't been explored yet.
    Are you uploading a midi track on top of your audio track to preform this task from inside xLights then removing the midi file once it's programmed or are you achieving this some other way? I'm sorry if I'm missing something basic here, I'm just not visualizing how you are doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Elf member
    I sequenced Linus and Lucy by The Piano Guys and found the same challenge. Took me a long time. It probably wasn't the best choice for my first sequencing of the year.
    Ed
    Happily retired

I've found it useful, during sequencing, to use the sheet music for a song. I assign elements of my display to parts of the song and sequence each element to roughly correspond to the notes in the assigned part.

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Quote Originally Posted by bwinter View Post

The thing that makes the banjo track different is the speed. I couldnít possibly tap it out on a piano. Weíre talking notes that are .150s in duration. I canít even hear and recognize all of the notes fast enough to tap them out on a keyboard. Maybe a really good piano player could do it. But I certainly canít. Thereís also something about the way the chords are appregiated on the banjo thatís not sinking into my head.
    If I had sheet music that would probably help. But I donít think that bluegrass parts like this are notated with traditional notes. Iím pretty sure itís just chord tablature with a lot of license to the performer on how the notes within the chord are played.
    This is just one of those cases where fancier tools donít make it easier. Itís about skill. And if youíve got less musical skill in this area, you can still get it done. It just takes a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by pjones View Post
    Are you uploading a midi track on top of your audio track to preform this task from inside xLights then removing the midi file once it's programmed or are you achieving this some other way? I'm sorry if I'm missing something basic here, I'm just not visualizing how you are doing this.

An audio track (the waveform of a song) is separate from any timing tracks you add (including midi)

Quote Originally Posted by Jchuchla View Post
    The thing that makes the banjo track different is the speed. I couldnít possibly tap it out on a piano. Weíre talking notes that are .150s in duration. I canít even hear and recognize all of the notes fast enough to tap them out on a keyboard. Maybe a really good piano player could do it. But I certainly canít. Thereís also something about the way the chords are appregiated on the banjo thatís not sinking into my head.
    If I had sheet music that would probably help. But I donít think that bluegrass parts like this are notated with traditional notes. Iím pretty sure itís just chord tablature with a lot of license to the performer on how the notes within the chord are played.
    This is just one of those cases where fancier tools donít make it easier. Itís about skill. And if youíve got less musical skill in this area, you can still get it done. It just takes a lot longer.

Iím listening to the banjo line on the song, and I do t see anything thatís challenging.

Trying to sequence that manually? Absolutely. But recreating that in a midi? Trivial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast