Thread: renard/ssr troubleshooting

renard/ssr troubleshooting

Here's a weird one (at least to me). I have a RP32 that branches out to 3 trees. Each tree has Red, Green, Blue and White lights on it. (in that order) THe RP32 connects to DirkCheapSSRs, one per tree. one of the trees is having a problem where any time the green is supposed to be on, both green and blue come on. However the inverse is not true, when blue is supposed to be on, green does not come on with it. That's not making much sense to me. Also, when the blue comes on with the green, the blue isn't stable, it's kinda flickery.

I've already swapped two of the dirkcheap ssrs from tree to tree. The problem stayed with the original tree, not the SSR. so that suggests that the problem is with the cable, or the renard output group itself. I have not yet tried to change the cable, or try moving the cable to a different renard output. It's pretty cold out and this problem doesn't bother me enough to justify troubleshooting in the dark and cold while the show is running.

Any ideas why I'd see green trigger green and blue, but not the inverse? What sort of intermittent failure would cause that?

Wow, that is an interesting one. To trouble shoot that one, on the RP32 I would move the cable to a different port and see if the problem moves. If it does, then the cable is bad. If it doesn't move, then it has to be on the RP32, as you have already proven the DirkCheapSSR's are good. You might also want to look at the RJ45 connectors and make sure they are not corroded. Beyond that, I am not sure.
    TWireless
    (Renzilla Co-Designer)
    13,000 Channels
    94+ Wireless Ren controllers + two E682's
    (2018) 30 houses(and our last year)
    (2017) 32 houses(/God help us)
    (2016) 30 houses total
    (2015) 28 houses total
    (2014) 25 houses total
    (2013) 24 houses total
    Started in 2009 with 12 houses
    2012 video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KVM_EPKYMM
    What the French people think about us
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLWPYV55wME

Good ideas. Also, I think a kinked cat5 cable might cause this.
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Or perhaps a rodent got into your tree.

I would directly plug in the green into 110v and see if you still have the problem. Also do the same for the blue.

Do you have one of our RP LED boards? This could help with determining if you are having issues with the RP32.

I don't have one of the RP LED boards. Just checked it out and it looks pretty simple. I bet i can quickly make one using a spare PCB from a dirkcheapSSR and putting LEDs in place of the VO2223 chips.

I might get a chance to test a different cat5 cable tomorrow before showtime, but anything beyond that will wait till the daytime on Saturday when i can see better and the show isn't running.

I suppose it's possible that a rodent got into the tree and the AC wires. I'm hoping that's not the case but I can look into it. I've been pretty lucky with no animal trouble in several years.

Rudolph member
    Check your various cat5 (rj45) connectors for corrosion. It's possible (but rare) for corrosion to act like a diode. Conduction between green to blue could be intermittent and one-way.

Jimboha