Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vixen 3 not starting my show sometimes.

So the real question here is if you are seeing an error in the log with a time stamp that corresponds with each time the controller goes offline.

You’re learning the hard way why most shows don’t use usb devices for constant connections. They’re just not very stable and are difficult to troubleshoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Elf member
    I didnt originally plan on usb but after a rather flawless last year with vix 2 I decided to stick with what i had and build with it moved to vix 3 for more sequencing tools. And now a this may go back to vix 2 next year as id hate to try and learn a new controller plus the cost on bulding a new controller. My computer only has usb outputs so on top of a new controller id have to buy a new computer.

Have you gone thru the window's settings to make sure that all forms of power saving are off? This means computer sleep mode, hibernate mode, usb suspend, etc...

Have you been able to isolate this to a software issue, or hardware issue, or OS issue, or sketch issue? You really need to figure that out before you can figure out how to fix it. So some systematic testing is in order.

Swap out the Arduino with another one and see if the problem persists. If it gets better, then you had a problem with the original board. If it persists, then you still have the software, the OS and the sketch to look at.

Then try running it from different software. Export the sequence and run it from the V2 scheduler, or xSchedule. If the problem still persists, then you still need to look at windows and the sketch.

Then try running it from a non-windows player like FPP. If the problem persists then you have a problem with your sketch.

Junior Elf member
    Thank you i will try all this. I dont have a second board atm but ill be ordering one tomorrow. I appreciate the help and ill keep posting back with updates

Junior Elf member
    what length of USB cable are you using? If kit is extra long, can you try a short one?

Junior Elf member
    It's 15 foot. I can try a 10 foot. But had a issue last year where I couldnt connect to the arduino while using a 15 foot cable till i added a power supply to the arduino so the usb was no longer powering it. And it fixed my issue. I may try to keep the power supply on at all times and see if that dont help. Also I was talking to a guy at work and he was wondering if theres a way to select port priority?

Junior Elf member
    Todays update. Didnt start likenit was supposed to. Tried to close vix 3 and does the whole not responding thing and won't even force close ( same thing everytime I close vix 3) restart the computer double click vix 3 to open and nothing. Double click again after waiting a few moments pops up a profile in use error. Then vixen opens. 3 mins later back to random mode and have to do the same thing close vixen which wont close restart the computer and open it up and its been running now for 2 hours ok so far. Now my thinking is maybe iys a vixen issue and this may be dumb. But i downloaded vix 32 bit not the 64 bit because i have so few channels (32 this year) could this be my issue? Why would vixen freeze everytime i try and close it after i lose connection with my controller. I havnt had this issue unless the arduino loses connection. Should i try and download 64 bit?

What exactly is in the log at the times that the controller stops working? What is in the log when vixen locks up? Copy and paste the entire log entries relevant to those timestamps.

My guess is that the lockup is happening because of the hardware failing. You'll get the same sort of lockup if you remove the audio device while windows is playing.

If you have a 64 bit version of windows, you should always use the 64 bit version of the software. This goes for most any software. Using a 32 bit app in windows x64 requires the entire app to run thru an extra layer of windows for backwards compatibility.

Junior Elf member
    Vixen just continues to run the show. No errors no anything ill copy and post the log tomorrow. I appreciate the help tho.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12