Thread: Using xLights to control P5 and P10 panels using Colorlight 5A-75B (or E) sender card

Frosty member

Using xLights to control P5 and P10 panels using Colorlight 5A-75B (or E) sender card

I've upgraded my P10 panel 2x2 matrix to a P5 matrix this year. I've opted for the Colorlight card for the controller. I use FPP to run my show, and there is a new colorlight output option and that is working great. The issue for me came in testing the P5 through xLights, as I usually do all my testing through xLights running on my PC prior to uploaded my final fseq files to FPP and letting it run the show. xLights does not have native support for Colorlight cards, however, I came across this little video on the xLights forum, and it worked out just great! It's a simple program that uses a loopback IP address (127.0.0.1) to encode the Colorlight protocol. While the output is not as smooth as when running from FPP, it is still very good and more than enough quality for testing.

Here is the link to the video on how to use the program.

http://videos.xlights.org/p10-colorl...a17d46b2e.html

Cheers!
    Charlie

Rudolph member
    In xLights, if you change the output for the Colorlight stuff to be DDP, you can flip the FPP instance to bridge mode very easy to test things directly from xLights.
    Daniel Kulp
    Framingham, MA

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    In xLights, if you change the output for the Colorlight stuff to be DDP, you can flip the FPP instance to bridge mode very easy to test things directly from xLights.
    That's just it, with that program I don't need to use FPP at all. I just plug the colorlight into a gigabit switch on the show network.

BUT ... as of last night I'm realizing that running the show this way (colorlight directly to a show switch) is causing some bad lag on ESP controllers. Not sure why, but disabling the colorlight panel outputs causes everything to work normally. Looks like I will need to go to a dedicated FPP direct to the colorlight and use a master/slave to keep things in sync. In this case I will use your recommended method, so thank you!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Soooooooooo,

I spent almost 2 months trying to get my P5 panels to work. I settled on:

ColorLight board connected to the ethernet port on a PI3+. I have a usb dongle on the PI which serves as a trigger point to the PI from xSchedule.

All sequences are uploaded to the PI. I have set xSchedule in FPP Master.

Everything works. No load on the network since the communication between the PI and the ColorLight is not on the network and is running at 1gb.

Works great.

Pictures/video... or it didn't happen....
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Pictures/video... or it didn't happen....
    Tuff crowd!

I have several items I'll post about once I have some time. Including my entry into the $50 contest, ya know, the one people are voting on now, ...

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Soooooooooo,

I spent almost 2 months trying to get my P5 panels to work. I settled on:

ColorLight board connected to the ethernet port on a PI3+. I have a usb dongle on the PI which serves as a trigger point to the PI from xSchedule.

All sequences are uploaded to the PI. I have set xSchedule in FPP Master.

Everything works. No load on the network since the communication between the PI and the ColorLight is not on the network and is running at 1gb.

Works great.
    I ended up adding a USB Ethernet adapter to my BBB (which is my main show instance of FPP). That runs straight to my P5 panel outside (it's a short run through an outside wall), and keeps traffic off the main show network as well. I can still just move the Ethernet plug from that adapter and into the switch it sits next to in order to to the texting from xlights as I described above. I only run from xlights to test changes or see how new stuff looks on my actual display.

Last night show ran great with no delays.