Thread: Vixen not Starting

Junior Elf member

Vixen not Starting

I'm having a problem with Vixen today. I shut itself down and will not let me start it back up. I'm pretty sure it's a Scheduler problem, incorrect date. But, I can't get it to start so I can't get in to correct the problem. Anyone know how to stop the Scheduler from starting at start-up?

Try changing the date on your computer to something back in October before starting Vixen. Maybe that will fool the scheduler.
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Junior Elf member
    Problem resolved. I setup an "Overnight" sequence last night. But I forgot about the date change glitch. Cant run same sequence past midnight/date change. That it what caused Vixen to shut down and not re-start. To get around and fix the problem, I remembered where in Vixen the setting was to turn off the Scheduler at startup. I was then able to boot up Vixen, and correct the bad schedule. I now have the Overnight run from 11:10pm to 11:59pm and then another one runs from 12:00am to 6:00am. I then was able to save the schedule changes and re-enable the Scheduler. All now back up and running.

Good work. That makes a lot of sense.

I recall when I was coding our company's employee timeclock software how messy the logic and calculations became when going past the midnight boundary, because it could affect not only a payroll period, but a week, month, quarter or even a year, all of which have various payroll reporting responsibilities depending on the facility and scope of the payroll itself. All the ensuing reporting that has to be correct... it was ugly.... I wound up manually doing something similar: I recorded the original punch in/out for a historical record and then created two additional punch records: one that ended at midnight on one date and one that began at 00:00:01 on the next date, and reallocating the hours worked as appropriate for those two date ranges. We got a lot of flak for it because customers couldn't get their heads around the issue very well. I finally explained it to them as the difference for how you account for payroll as an expense on your financial reporting vs. what the federal government requires by law for reporting -- they're usually two completely different issues with two completely different needs.

But it was ugly. I don't blame the Vixen coders for not addressing it...
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store