Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Internal Halyard Megatree

Old Man Winter member
    You already have the idea to double up at the joints (pipe inside pipe). How about doubling up at the cable entry point plus a couple of feet?

Add a "sleeve" to the outside of the pole from just above the winch entry. I've had good luck doing this with megatrees to keep the bases from collapsing in my mounts. Perhaps it would work for you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi John, sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm guessing that you are well on your way to having sorted this by now but if not a bolt and a couple of pullies may get you on your way.

Attachment 14370
    You池e right that I知 well in my way. The parts have been machined and are in the paint booth. Your idea is similar to what I知 doing.
    I made a pulley block from a pipe flange and a few pieces of angle iron. The angle iron goes back to back with two pulleys between them. Then it bolts to the flange. There痴 4 additional guide pins thru the pair of flanges to keep the cable from coming out of the block while erecting the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by algerdes View Post
    You already have the idea to double up at the joints (pipe inside pipe). How about doubling up at the cable entry point plus a couple of feet?

Add a "sleeve" to the outside of the pole from just above the winch entry. I've had good luck doing this with megatrees to keep the bases from collapsing in my mounts. Perhaps it would work for you as well.
    If I go back to the internal halyard design, this is probably what I値l do. I値l likely use square tubing on the outside of the pipe around the hole for this additional strength. I知 thinking square because that値l make it easier to bolt in that guide pulley and to mount the winch to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty member
    I only had a 20' tree but I used the Christmaslightshow.com Mega Tree setup where they supply the pole piece that fits in the pipe without bolts for the connections, then the head stock has the pulley and the guy wire landings at the top. It will also accommodate a star on top. I am not sure if it is strong enough for a 30' tree, but I can't see why not. With that design the cable is external to the pole with a winch to hoist the ring to the top. The base is also different and doesn't require an in ground pipe, which doesn't really mean better, just different..

I wonder since you have that slot cut in the pipe, how much water goes in the pipe and down in the ground thru that in ground pipe? Does it even matter? Just curious..

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for ideas.. but it sounds like you have it handled.. Let us know what it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I only had a 20' tree but I used the Christmaslightshow.com Mega Tree setup where they supply the pole piece that fits in the pipe without bolts for the connections, then the head stock has the pulley and the guy wire landings at the top. It will also accommodate a star on top. I am not sure if it is strong enough for a 30' tree, but I can't see why not. With that design the cable is external to the pole with a winch to hoist the ring to the top. The base is also different and doesn't require an in ground pipe, which doesn't really mean better, just different..

I wonder since you have that slot cut in the pipe, how much water goes in the pipe and down in the ground thru that in ground pipe? Does it even matter? Just curious..

Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there for ideas.. but it sounds like you have it handled.. Let us know what it turns out.
    I always forget about christmaslightshow.com.
    His pole couplers are very similar to what I made. Mine don't have the collar in the middle though. I assume that's there to center it over the splice. I didn't find that to be a problem that needed more parts to solve.

I didn't want my star to be part of the pulley block. It's hard enough to lift the pole upright without any extra weight on top. I haven't put a star on mine yet, but my plan is for it to be on the trolley that rides up the pole.

The reason I went with the in-ground pipe is because the ground is not flat where the tree is installed. I was struggling to come up with other methods that would deal with the slope and still be firmly grounded.

I just noticed he has the earth anchors I've been looking for! I've been struggling to find a source for the kind that have the hex head and removable eye bolt.

I'm not sure if that slot in the pipe makes a difference or not when it comes to letting water in. It is galvanized water pipe, so I'm not really worried about rust and corrosion. But if it's sitting in the ground sleeve (which is closed at the bottom) I suppose it can freeze and burst, or at least jam so I can't get it back out.

The tree is back up now. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4796.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	14399

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123