Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multicast and destination IP

Junior Elf member

Multicast and destination IP

Trying to set up a couple of PixelPop Tiny's and am having some misunderstandings. Everything is set to run in multicast and test fine through FPP, my issue comes when setting up the controllers in Vixen. When I select Streaming Scan and go to configure I can only put in the Unicast IP destination. Does multicast not use the IP address? If not how do you specify which controller gets what universe? I have 5 total PixelPops all except one stay within a single universe, so one of them has to cross a boundary.

My theory is that I will set up a single output in vixen with with 3,072 outputs and just patch them in order per 512 count universe. Then just specify all my pixelpops to be universe 1 with different channel start points.

Junior Elf member
    Your controller type in vixen should be Streaming e1.31. You should be able to select Multicast and put in the Universe you entered in each PixelPop Tiny.

Multicast does not require an IP address in vixen.

Senior Elf member
    The whole point about multicast is that it uses a well known shared destination address (that we users cant mess up) that is delivered to ALL of the devices on your network in a single transmission. The PixelPops themselves discard the universes they do not care about. Since it is the controller itself that chooses what it will accept, you make the choice by configuring the ESP to use universe N.

Rudolph member
    Hi, the IP address for multicast is generated by Vixen. It starts with 239.255.xxx.xxx and the ‘x’ are the universe number. This is sent to all listening devices or though some may not use it.

The multicast address for Universe 1 would be 239.255.0.1 but doesn't need to be entered in setup.

The highest Universe you can have is 239.255.255.255 which is why we are limited to 65,535 Universes.

If data crosses two Universes use the lowest Universe number. Set the start channel and then the number of channels and it will work out that that it needs to look in another Universe for the rest of the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    If data crosses two Universes use the lowest Universe number. Set the start channel and then the number of channels and it will work out that that it needs to look in another Universe for the rest of the data.
    And you need to set the correct Universe Boundary, 510 or 512, to match your settings in Vixen.
    Matt

Briar Creek Lights
    2017 My 2nd Year
    2016 150 Renard channels (and a few pixels,110)
    Honorary DIGWDF engineer

Junior Elf member
    Thanks everyone. I think it makes sense now. I'll have to do some testing in real life to get a full grasp but everything you said makes sense.

Junior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, the IP address for multicast is generated by Vixen. It starts with 239.255.xxx.xxx and the ‘x’ are the universe number. This is sent to all listening devices or though some may not use it.

The multicast address for Universe 1 would be 239.255.0.1 but doesn't need to be entered in setup.

The highest Universe you can have is 239.255.255.255 which is why we are limited to 65,535 Universes.

This does not seem to be happening for me. It is a single string set to 199 Pixels. Starts at universe 3 with a universe boundary of 512 channels. The last 30 pixels are just black.

Also, I'm running 2 E682's, everything is working fine with them until I go to play a sequence. The colors are off in the sequencing for some odd reason. Everything in test mode looks perfect. Colors match to what they should be. Vixen 3 is showing as correct in the preview as well. Any thoughts on why the coloring would be off? And I mean WAY off. Like it's red when it should be blue off.

Last I checked, the 682 doesn't do 512 channel universe boundaries. I thought you had to do 510 for those. That would explain why the last 29 pixels are wrong.

Junior Elf member
    That would explain some of what I'm seeing. The sting of pixels with the last 29 pixels being blank are on a pixelpop tiny, running multicast.

Junior Elf member
    I found an error in my channel counting. I'll test in the morning but I believe that combined with changing everything to 510 channels per universe should fix most of the problems I am seeing. Thank you again for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast