Thread: Can baud rate and start channel settings be recovered from programmed PIC?

Junior Elf member

Can baud rate and start channel settings be recovered from programmed PIC?

My TR-16s aren't labeled, and I need to figure out baud rates and starting addresses programmed onto the PIC. Is there a simple way to divine those settings from the .hex file that is on the PIC? I do not have the original hex files available to me (which had baud rate and channel offset in their filenames), so re-flashing to restore the current settings isn't really an option.

Barring an easy way to do that, I suppose I'll need to re-flash them with another hex from the current firmware package. I found the baud rate setting in the .asm file from the current firmware package, although I'm still a bit confused on how to modify the start address line in the .asm file to set a 16-channel offset.

And what application is being used nowadays to compile a modified .asm file into a hex? It appears that MPASM is not available as a standalone (unless my Google-fu is weak).

I'll be running the TR-16 off a Falcon F16v3, if that matters.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Senior Elf member
    MPLAB-X Is the latest version. It includes MPASM.

Trial and error is the only way to find what you are looking for. Create a sequence that turns 100 channels on and off at a reasonable rate and play it at each baud rate until you get the right results.

Next create a sequence with one channel and play it. Increase the number of channels by 1 until you get output. That is the starting offset.

We have had better luck with MpLab v8.86. Very stable. Unless you have done something out of the normal the standard baud rate should be 57600

Using MpLab open the project file, then the asm file and look for the following:

#DEFINE START_ADDR 0 ;; 0 starts channels 1-8

Change it as needed then re-buld the hex file.

If you need more information take a look at:

http://renard-plus.com/files/Pic%20P...ng%20Guide.pdf
    http://renard-plus.com/files/Renard_Start_Address.pdf

Rudolph member
    Barring an easy way to do that, I suppose I'll need to re-flash them with another hex from the current firmware package. I found the baud rate setting in the .asm file from the current firmware package, although I'm still a bit confused on how to modify the start address line in the .asm file to set a 16-channel offset.
    Hi, If the baud rate is correct from previous years you can use the Renard Plus Start Address Programmer to set the start addresses without needing to re-flash the PICs.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 10-27-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Junior Elf member
    I managed to edit the .asm file, but took some luck to find the option that activated the black magic that resulted in a hex file being compiled. According to the indicators on the board, itís working. Iíll run a test sequence just as soon as I can find a spare Ethernet cable to hack. Thanks for the assist.