Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Xlights+teensy3.2+octows2811

Frosty member
    Oh and one of the reasons I didn't understand what Kutsikas15 was doing was because the amount of data he was transferring was too slow for blinky-flashy. Let's do the math on his setup

200x8 = 1600 pixels * 3 (RGB) = 4800 bytes of data
    Ignoring the protocol overhead, that is 48,000 bits of data as each byte takes 10 bits to transmit.
    He set the serial interface for 115,200 so the teensy could receive 115200/48000 frames per second. This works out to 2.4 frames per second. That would be considered dang slow by most blinky-flashy people. Is it usable for showing lights, yes. But not really what we would usually be looking for.

So, I think he said he was doing DMX from xLights. DMX by default is 250,000 bps so maybe the teensy was keeping up a little better but that still is 5.3 frames per second. Still pretty slow.

I think the teensy actually ignores the buad rate when connected USB and will work at much higher speeds but that still doesn't help with the number of bytes and the protocol used.

So, the other thing I didn't get...Since xLights doesn't seem to have a straight forward serial protocol (maybe someone can point it out if I missed it), you have to use DMX. There isn't "DMX" code in the sketch that was posted. He just grabbed data off the input stream and started shoving into the matrix. Not sure how the sketch kept track of where in the data stream it was.

You could use Renard protocol - which is not hard to do - but it is limited in channels and speed.

If you use Vixen, you can drive the serial port with the start code you have in your sketch and you can substantially increase the baud rate from the computer. You would have the same limitation in creating elements and mapping into your 200 pixel per string but you might be able to get all the data to the teensy in a blinky-flashy time period.

Junior Elf member
    Thanks for the input I already have one string of 1196 pixels I guess I might as well hook it up and see if the animation keeps up with the music. So when xlights tells me it is doing 19.2 frames per second that isn't real, that is simulated. I tried this once with a nodeMCU and a pixel stick sketch and the lights didn't keep up with the music and the lights would still be going when the music had stopped. then someone suggest the teensy but it sounds like I'm still way off base. If I break it down smaller pixels per strip will I have to totally redo my sequencing? Sorry I'm new to the hobby this was my first year and I put up permanent ws2812 all round my roof line and that took 1200 leds

Junior Elf member
    FYI my setup worked just testing one port with 1196 pixels plays in sync wit the music and starts and stops with the music here is my setup tab from xlights
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails abc1.jpg  

Junior Elf member
    Well,
    I had great results with my code...
    Somehow everything worked fine with using DMX as type to send data to my teensy (connected teensy with usb cable straigt to laptop and ran xlights scheduler).
    Code works-and does that well - within 2 months I never had issues, ran every day as scheduled.
    Heres video of my 2018 display
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgZqx6ZrLoc&t

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12