Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone heard from them?

It feels like for some of the more hobbiest "businesses" they should throw a warning up on their site. I always feel bad when I newbie posts concerned because it has been a week since they ordered something from vendor X, heard not a peep, and our response is that the person works a real job and they do this on the side, give them more time.

This is just a general observation as I have no dog in this or any other fight. Just something I have felt bad for when it is hard to tell who has the shipping turn around time of Dirk, or of me (which wouldn't be fast ).

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toozie21 View Post
    .... Just something I have felt bad for when it is hard to tell who has the shipping turn around time of Dirk...
    Thanks for the comment, Jason. We have taken great pride at DIGWDF in being able to ship either same or next day or, in cases of holidays, the next available day USPS was working. We're always anxious to get things as soon as we can when we order things on-line, barring the exorbitant expense of overnight delivery fees, of course. We've always assumed that everyone else felt the same way that we did. Today, in a way, we feel a bit responsible for some of the criticism directed toward other online stores because of our operational policies, which are pretty simple, really. I offer these as ideas that worked well for us over the years...

*** Don't make a product available for purchase unless you actually have it in stock, ready to ship. If you have parts for 24 kits but actually assemble only 10. Only put 10 in the store because you don't have all 24 made up. Therefore, set the store software so a product can't be purchased unless there's a quantity available.

*** Consider using only one shipping provider for standardization. Picking a shipper that comes to you regularly makes it easier to ship things because you don't have to make a special trip. We chose USPS for this very reason. PayPal shipping is easy to use and can link to most other shipping systems. Use it.

*** Consider selling products that fit a standardized shipping envelopes/boxes. At DIGWDF, we chose to ship almost exclusively in 6x9 padded envelopes, and 99% of our products fit inside it. If a customer ordered quantity greater than would fit, it was an easy switch to the small flat-rate box, which is essentially the same size, only thicker.

*** Consider including shipping in your pricing. This isn't always the most accurate method, but it is the most convenient for the customer. Customers like convenience. It's why they use on-line stores. Figure your shipping cost based on a typical order, or perhaps create a 3-tiered method for including S/H in your pricing if you have large or heavy things.

*** Watch your stock levels to make sure what your store says it has on hand is what you actually have on the shelf, ready to ship. This means at the very least, a monthly inventory; if you have a lot of activity, then you need to take physical inventory more often.

*** Check and process orders daily. This is critically important. It may not be convenient for you, but if you want your store to be known as a store that can be counted on, you must do this.

*** When you have to replace an item that was either damaged or lost in shipping, don't just yank it off the shelf and send it. First, remove it from stock via the store's software functions that allow administrative adjustments of stock levels, and then send it.
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Old Man Winter member
    Dirk, I wish I could do as you suggested above, however I can't because I can't build them fast enough. lol
    Having fun year round making wire frames.

www.wireframedlites.com

Amazing write-up dirk. And much kudos to you and the amazing shop (RIP).

I've written that message about 5 times in the past and never hit send so I wouldn't offend anyone (it wad a general comment), but it seemed like an OK time to bring it up.

All hail Dirk!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougp View Post
    Dirk, I wish I could do as you suggested above, however I can't because I can't build them fast enough. lol
    You're a custom shop, Doug. Completely different animal. And you've got it working just right!!! You're the BEST!
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Old Man Winter member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    You're a custom shop, Doug. Completely different animal. And you've got it working just right!!! You're the BEST!
    True, it's custom and a Monster and thanks for the kind words. Maybe I need a monkey or 2. LOL
    Having fun year round making wire frames.

www.wireframedlites.com

Senior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post

*** Don't make a product available for purchase unless you actually have it in stock, ready to ship. If you have parts for 24 kits but actually assemble only 10. Only put 10 in the store because you don't have all 24 made up. Therefore, set the store software so a product can't be purchased unless there's a quantity available.
    You could say this one again - this is a pet peeve of mine for sure. I have had 2 recent instances where sites showed the items as in stock. On one occasion the owner actually called my cell phone the next day to tell me and ask if I wanted to have a partial shipment or just wait for everything to come in...even though the site showed everything being in stock; at least they reached out to make me aware albeit after the order was placed. The other occasion I even received a shipping notification and then a week later (while it continued to say shipping label was created) I message the vendor only to find out something was apparently not in stock even though the site said it was...still waiting on that one.

I would much rather know going in that something is out of stock, then I can make the decision to wait or see if I can find it somewhere else. I will not continue to use the vendor if these are the methods they use - there are many other vendors out there.
    Dave

An Honorary DIGWDF Engineer since 12/30/2015.
    Click here to learn about supporting this great resource.

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by dougp View Post
    True, it's custom and a Monster and thanks for the kind words. Maybe I need a monkey or 2. LOL
    Dirk, if the engineers drop by for a Christmas visit... maybe you could send them Doug's way if they are still looking for something to do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12