Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project: 20W mains LED strobe type things.

Rudolph member
    Hi, @ Mike LOL.

It finally stopped raining here yesterday so it was as safe as it can be to go outside and play with mains, I do have an RCD (Residual Current Device) the same as the US GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). After an hour messing about I came to the following conclusions:

10W is going to be enough power.
    There is no way I was going to get any usable video in the dark.

During a visit to the electrical wholesalers today I came across these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1133.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	14252

10W as I now know enough power.
    Driverless just what I need.
    Aluminium case with glass front that sorts any cooling and waterproofing.
    4 wide, 3 high and 1 deep nice and compact.
    Has cable, a gland and a mounting bracket three more things crossed of the list.
    $6.00 each a no brainer really so I picked up four for testing.

The first question was what current do they draw? Answer 45mA, so they are 10W (10.8W at UK voltage). There is no way this is going to get hot even if I insult it (LOL), so thats not going to be an issue. The best thing to now is get outside quick and get some video whilst it half-light. A seven channel chase at 30mS, the four LED/strobes are on channels 1,2,4 & 6. I picked channels 1 & 2 to see if there was any overlap and 2,4 & 6 to have a gap between flashes.

My intended use is a single sequenced flash think of Wizards in Winter with strobe flashes instead of the mini trees that lots of people do. Anyway as my projects do this has changed tack but Im happy with these driverless LEDs, their response doesnt appear to have any lag (on or off), Ill get some more tomorrow and run them of Daves ZCSSRs for lightning over Halloween. By that time the PCBs should have arrived and I can get setup for Christmas.

Sweet!!!!
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Rudolph member
    Hi, one of the things about ordering PCBs etc online from abroad is that you can be waiting around for weeks with no idea what if anything is happening. It’s nice when suppliers provide progress reports.

Name:	JLCPCB_man.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	14258

Name:	JLCPCB_Ship.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	14259

We all know communication can make a big difference to customer confidence, I can say that to date this has been a pleasurable experience. The added bonus is that as I purchased the components from the same supplier shipped in one package, once they arrive I’m straight off and running.

Rudolph member
    Hi, we do like the postman

Name:	IMG_1137.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	14274

They have been manufactured and delivered the boards in 15 days.
    The main parts fit, the holes are good for 18 guage cable. It looks like I'll be needing the hot air gun tonight.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 10-25-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Frosty member
    It just struck me these guys look like they will be the percussion section in a chamber orchestra. They will count a hundred measures of rest and then hit a single triangle strike.
    I hope you make some video of them in action so we can see how you use them.

Rudolph member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    It just struck me these guys look like they will be the percussion section in a chamber orchestra. They will count a hundred measures of rest and then hit a single triangle strike.
    I hope you make some video of them in action so we can see how you use them.
    Hi, yes they are not going to be my most used lights. That said my wife wants me to make a couple of wire framed reindeer, I have some mains 200 count warm white LED strings that will go on them a treat and these should have no problem switching them.

Ive made one up for testing and fitted one of our funny plugs.

Name:	IMG_1138.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	14275

Running with 5V pixels all seams well, the WS2811 is passing on data correctly, the pixels before and after work fine. The triac is switched on when any value other than zero is sent to the blue channel and it fits in my plastic tubes. I need to do some longer tests but all round this looks to be a bit of a result.

Rudolph member
    Hi, I received a comment about the arrangement for the power for the WS2811 IC.

Name:	Strobe_WS_power_1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	14295
    On the left are two extracts from the WS2811 data sheet showing 5V and 12V operation.

For 5V operation a 100R (100 ohm) resistor is used in series with the IC’s power pin (VDD).

For 12V operation the note below that extract states that R1 should be 2.7K (2,700 ohms).

I wanted the option to run these with 5V or 12V and given the size of the surface mounted resistors swapping them wasn’t really a viable option and they only cost 25 cents for a hundred so cost wasn’t an issue. The circuit I used combines both circuits, having both 2.7K and 100R resistors in series (ideally it would have been 2.6K and 100R but my supplier didn’t have any in stock and testing showed it works fine).

By default the supply voltage has 2.7K + 100R = 2.8K in series with the WS2811 supply pin which is used for the 12V operation. If 5V operation is required then two solder pads are linked with a blob of solder and this shorts out the 2.7K resistor just leaving the 100R.

Apart from this being easy it has some other benefits:

When testing the boards a single supply of 12V can be used, if that works the 5V must work as the components are shared.

The solder pads serve as test points, much easier than trying to put a test probe on the IC pins.

If for any reason (dry joint etc) the solder link becomes open circuit the board defaults back to 2.8K of resistance (12V operation) and whilst it would not function on 5V, there is no over voltage state to cause damage.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 11-01-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12