Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone "Cut The Cord" on TV?

Quote Originally Posted by zwiller View Post
    Is OTA truly HD?
    OTA DTV supports any of a variety codecs. It's up to the broadcaster. There's actually more bandwidth available per channel on OTA DTV than there is on most cable systems. In my area, most of the major networks broadcast in 1080i, one in 720p. So yes, they broadcast in real HD. But they also broadcast other content in SD in the extra space. Most of the major stations also broadcast subchannels in 480i (or p)

Rudolph member
    Hi, it was quite common in the UK for houses to have two antennas to pick up from different transmitters. They are often different constructions (optimised for the transmitter) and pointing in different directions. I’m not sure what magic goes in the box they both connect to but a single cable came out to the TV and you could tune channels from ether transmitter. Things might be different in your neck of the woods. We use Netflix and Kodi.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchuchla View Post
    OTA DTV supports any of a variety codecs. It's up to the broadcaster. There's actually more bandwidth available per channel on OTA DTV than there is on most cable systems. In my area, most of the major networks broadcast in 1080i, one in 720p. So yes, they broadcast in real HD. But they also broadcast other content in SD in the extra space. Most of the major stations also broadcast subchannels in 480i (or p)
    Thanks!

So do I have this right: OTA antenna for local, Netflix (prime is quite good for me) subscription type for typical cable fare, and you have to shell out for sports package? I like history channel type stuff and does Netflix hulu or someone have that?

On the 2 antenna thing. Most of the nicer outdoor ones I've seen have 2 or more built together for this as intended use. Are the indoor units catching up? We fooled with one in the past and did not work well for me. We need like 30+ miles. Also, any advice to run like 5 TVs? Game plan is to do nice outdoor antenna in attic and tap in to existing coax and feed them OTA at least. Main is smart already and maybe do a kodi type box here and there.

So, working with my installer, I am going with a dual antenna system and will be adding a DVR in about a month when Amazon releases their new entry. I have my installation appointment for next Thursday, so by Friday I should have a preliminary report. All told, I am paying $690 for equipment, installation on my roof, cabling, and connecting 3 TV's. I know I could do it myself cheaper, but this is something I need to work immediately, so I will pay the professional. A Man's Got To Know His Limitations.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Curious, what sort of contractor are you using for this? I wouldn’t even know how to seek out such a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jchuchla View Post
    Curious, what sort of contractor are you using for this? I wouldn’t even know how to seek out such a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I found two local OTA antenna installers using Google search, I live in a fairly rural area of South Central PA. The company I went with also does, CCTV, Security Systems as well. They came out and did a site survey first to get an idea of what kind of signal I would get before making any recommendations.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Quote Originally Posted by zwiller View Post
    So do I have this right: OTA antenna for local, Netflix (prime is quite good for me) subscription type for typical cable fare, and you have to shell out for sports package? I like history channel type stuff and does Netflix hulu or someone have that?

Also, any advice to run like 5 TVs?
    It's a whole new world once you go this way. Coax is no longer needed. TVs are now just network devices. I use wired gigabit for my tuners and recording system and wifi for players. I have a dedicated 5GHz channel for the main living room with nothing else allowed so Momma gets priority. If Momma isn't happy, nobody's happy. Everything else shares the 2.4 GHz band and we have many things going all the time. Never have we had bandwidth issues, knock on wood, but I do have some QoS settings applied in the router. The tuners can play live TV sources from the antenna in the attic to any of our devices, or you can pull from the DVR or the web.

But, if sports are important, then you should really do your homework before jumping in. I am a big fan of cord cutting, but that is a deal breaker for some. We use Playstation Vue, but there are many options. Good luck.
    2012 23 channels; 2013 31 channels; 2014 added some pixels, gift boxes and a wire frame; 2015 949 RGB pixels; 2016 uh, oh well.;
    2017 still trying...
    www.facebook.com/McCurtainChristmasLights

www.youtube.com/user/McCurtainVideos

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123