Thread: 7' Singing Pixel Snowman

7' Singing Pixel Snowman

So my big project for the season is coming to a conclusion, Two 7' Tall Singing Pixel Snowmen.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowman Front 1024.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	14056 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snowman Back 1024.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	14057 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Singing Pixel Snowman 1024.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	14055

It does not fit the criteria of the $50 Prop Contest, but it is definitely in the spirit of the contest. I would have spent about $75 for supplies, other than lights, controller, and other power-related items. I had a lot of the basics on hand and as left-overs from other projects around the house. In total, I calculate you can build this for under $300 including the controller and PS. Mine will be Dirk Nerkled (fully wireless and independent to be placed anywhere in the display) so there is only an extenstion cord running to each Snowman.

I have started a Wiki for this, it is not complete yet, rather a work in progress. I just got the prop to fully run last night and needed to post this video (of course I am having issues getting the video to embed in this message, go to ). It is a clip from my contribution to the Light of Christmas community project, I did not do anything with the sound so it is very poor.

Fire away with any questions or comments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Singing Pixel Snowman.jpg  
    Last edited by TomL8345; 08-22-2018 at 04:47 PM.
    2012 - 1st year 64 Channels - 7500 LED lights - 5 sequences
    2013 - 128 Channels - 10,000 LED lights - 7 sequences (2 New)
    2014 - 201 Channels - upgrading 8 Arches to dumb RGB - 8+ sequences (1+ New)
    2015 - 240 Channels + 8 Universes - sequences TBD
    2016 - No Display
    2017 - Back in the Game - 240 Renard Channels + 12 Universes

Frosty member
    cool. love the stuff that comes from the mind of the diy clappers.
    Does he feel studly enough to withstand a winter storm?

Great, Tom! Looks just terrific! Terrific how-to explanation in the Wiki, too!!!
    Last edited by dirknerkle; 08-24-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of December!
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    cool. love the stuff that comes from the mind of the diy clappers.
    Does he feel studly enough to withstand a winter storm?
    Should be no problem. I used a 2" PVC Sched 40 pipe for his spine. It is designed to slide over a "T" style metal fence post that is sticking up 4-5 feet. I attached a 2nd piece of 2" PVC to slide over a piece of Rebar pounded into the ground to keep him from twisting too much. There is minimal Sail Area on the prop, so I do not expect wind to be an issue.
    2016 - No Display

Rudolph member
    Hi Tom, how cool is this as a snowman. I love this type of prop apart from its intended purpose you have two spinners, I can see a four point star with rays in the body parts and a firework vertical from the ground to the mid body part and then a star burst outwards as a bonus.

The Wiki for this Snowman build is complete, Wiki > DIY Display Construction > Singing Pixel Snowman

at least for the moment. It takes us up to the current point of the build where I am able to fully control the prop from a single output of a Falcon F4V3 and xLights. If I were going to stay wired this year I would call it a day, but noooooooooooo............Dirk Nirkel has to put this idea into my head the each prop should be moveable within the display from year to year and only need a single power cord to run it. So the next step of this process is to learn to program my ESP Pixelsticks so I can put a PS and pixelstick in a small enclosure attached to the back and just pound in the fence post for it to stand on and run a power cord to it. You know saying it that way makes it sound way to simple to setup.....
    Last edited by TomL8345; 08-24-2018 at 08:55 AM.
    2016 - No Display

Very nice looking snowman Tom,
    Mac Macmillan,

Renard Plus Design Engineer

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "Thomas Edison" PRNDL
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, Donate HERE

With 168 Channels

RP Logo By Air_Run, Animation by TazChaLet
    Renard_Plus_Info------ Renard_Plus_Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by TomL8345 View Post
    It takes us up to the current point of the build where I am able to fully control the prop from a single output of a Falcon F4V3 and xLights. If I were going to stay wired this year I would call it a day, but noooooooooooo............Dirk Nirkel has to put this idea into my head the each prop should be moveable within the display from year to year and only need a single power cord to run it. So the next step of this process is to learn to program my ESP Pixelsticks so I can put a PS and pixelstick in a small enclosure attached to the back and just pound in the fence post for it to stand on and run a power cord to it. You know saying it that way makes it sound way to simple to setup.....
    Well, I have chickened out on going wireless this year, I have a fairly simple wiring plan, and I have had success with this in the past. I am not going to introduce another layer of complexity to my show at this point in the season. Maybe next year as I aready have all the equipment to do it.

Instead I have been spending my time on the controller enclosure for each snowman. I used the JDeation.com DIY Enclosure design which fits inside a 12" length of 5" Vinyl Fence Post. My design holds a 300W 5V PS, Distro Board, and has the provision for a PixelStick for future upgrade.

Name:	JDeation DIY - Open-640.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	14158
    I am currently running Data and V- from my controller output into this power box, tying together the V- and sending Data, V+, V- to the top of the snowman, so it should just be a minor adjustment to add the PixelStick.

The enclosure has a provision for using a length of 1/2" PVC pipe to support the enclosure off the ground (over rebar). I took that length of pipe and slid it into the second piece of 2" PVC I added to the bottom spinner and it holds the enclosure perfectly!

Name:	JDeation being inserted-640.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	14159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JDeation Encl in Place-640.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	14160

Fully tested now ready to deploy next month.
    2016 - No Display