Thread: No Pole Megatree?

No Pole Megatree?

Anybody ever do a megatree with no center pole? I'm thinking of doing a couple of 180-degree megatrees that have no center pole and are hoisted up on the side of my house using a pulley and cable. Each string would be anchored to the lawn in front with stakes. That way they'd go up or down with minimum fuss and impact. Interested in what you'd use for a hook head, thinking I'd just get a circular hook head and orient it vertically. What do you think, is this crazy?

Regards,

Dennis the Menace

Old Man Winter member
    It would work. Even a "flat" head, along side of your house, would work. The "flanging" of all the strings would give you the curve of the tree.

Old Man Winter member
    It's been done before and I haven't seen any issues before

Junior Elf member
    I do this with my two megatrees. They are not huge, 15 strands 30px high. I have a plywood half circle topper that Iíve attached holidaycoro pixel mounting strips to. I just used two small screws to attach each strip to the plywood top. I then placed an eyebolt in the center of mass of the half circle to hang it from. For the bottom. I use a weighted down half circle PVC frame and use small bungees to keep each strand tight.

I use an eye hook mounted to the soffit to run a rope through and pull up the tree. The downfall to this design is the tree will pull away from the wall if there is a lot of height between the soffit and the top of the tree. I had to put a small anchor on the wall to run the rope through to keep the top of the tree close to the wall.

Here are some pictures. These are from before I built the plywood topper, but they get he idea across.

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jguenther View Post
    off topic... are your strands in the air free hanging or mounted?

Junior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKrebs View Post
    off topic... are your strands in the air free hanging or mounted?
    The strands are free hanging. They are suspended with black tie line from the tree branches.