Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wireless Video

You're right.... but... do you ever sleep? When you posted that, it wasn't even 5am in your neck of the woods!?!?!

I've never really grasped the equivalence thing on that sort of resolution because DPI (dots per inch) is a measure for printing while PPI (pixels per inch) is a measure for screen resolution. I kind of think we're all being duped by the marketing people...

A screen that's 4.5 x 2.5 meters is 177" x 98" which is 17,346 square inches. Your total number of pixels comes out to 737,280, or about 42 pixels per inch. I've read that a typical monitor or "good" television screen is roughly somewhere from 67 to 300 pixels per inch. Assuming the middle of the road there would be about 180 PPI, we'd have a comparison.

But it all boils down to how far away from the image it would be viewed. We generally sit pretty close to a monitor while your video wall will likely be quite a bit further away.

In any event, 42 pixels per inch on a video wall ought to look pretty stellar!
    The DIGWDF Store is closing at the end of this year.
    While it's still open, please check us out at: http://digwdf.com/store

Junior Elf member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmadrive View Post
    I wonder.. I am going to set up a 4.5m x 2.5m video wall with a 3.9mm pitch to show music videos for an outdoor party I am doing and I was wondering if this would be decent resolution.. sounds like it might work..
    The there is lots of math needed to determine the needed resolution of a direct view LED display based on visual acuity, but the boiled down approximation is:

Viewing Distance(ft) = Pixel Pitch(mm) * 8

Where pixel pitch is the distance in millimeters between each pixel (center to center)

So if your display has a pixel pitch of 3.9mm then the min viewing distance is 31. The display might look ok at less than 31, but based on the average persons visual acuity less than 31 is where the average person should be able to start picking out individual pixels.

Frosty member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    You're right.... but... do you ever sleep? When you posted that, it wasn't even 5am in your neck of the woods!?!?!

I've never really grasped the equivalence thing on that sort of resolution because DPI (dots per inch) is a measure for printing while PPI (pixels per inch) is a measure for screen resolution. I kind of think we're all being duped by the marketing people...

A screen that's 4.5 x 2.5 meters is 177" x 98" which is 17,346 square inches. Your total number of pixels comes out to 737,280, or about 42 pixels per inch. I've read that a typical monitor or "good" television screen is roughly somewhere from 67 to 300 pixels per inch. Assuming the middle of the road there would be about 180 PPI, we'd have a comparison.

But it all boils down to how far away from the image it would be viewed. We generally sit pretty close to a monitor while your video wall will likely be quite a bit further away.

In any event, 42 pixels per inch on a video wall ought to look pretty stellar!
    I figure I can sleep when I'm dead! ha ha..

This setup will be about 15'-25' from viewers.. unless I put it behind the pool.. then about 25-50'.. Just a harder place to put it.. I figure I could put it in the lawn area and then swimmers could here the music but you have to go to the lawn to actually watch.. Not sure how it will work out.. but a bit later in the day I was thinking of running a movie with surround sound and sub woofers and the whole bit.. maybe Rouge One!

Junior Elf member
    Along the same lines, what is really needed, is a way (other than a remote Pi with FPP) to connect a projector with hdmi wirelessly via E131 (esp8266). This way I can put a projector in the front of my house and "broadcast" a virtual matrix with xlights just like all my other pixelsticks !!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234