Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SSR connection from controller to SSR

Old Man Winter member

SSR connection from controller to SSR

I am curious for those that still use remote SSR's.. How do you do your cat5 connection from controller to the SSR? I know obviously its a Cat5 cable but so you dont have to run it through your case for either the SSR or the controller every year what do you do? I currently use RJ45 Couplers one at the controller and one at the SSR to where a short cat5 cable comes out of the cases and an rj45 coupler sits there and then a longer cable between the 2. Do others leave the longer cable attached to either the SSR side or the controller side to eliminate problems with a coupler? Just seeking out others thoughts/ideas on this.

My R+32 has the cables through the case holes and each cable is custom length to the 4 channel mini trees. No couplers here as it’s much to wet in Oregon. Cable goes directly into the SSR case in the mini tree.

When I put away in January I carefully roll up the entire 8 cable assembly and keep with the case and controller.

Old Man Winter member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    My R+32 has the cables through the case holes and each cable is custom length to the 4 channel mini trees. No couplers here as itís much to wet in Oregon. Cable goes directly into the SSR case in the mini tree.

When I put away in January I carefully roll up the entire 8 cable assembly and keep with the case and controller.
    Hmm Im wondering if I need to be doing that.. although Im not real sure how I would roll up the cables from a renzilla at 96 channels.. what a Mess that would be.. I think glued to the SSR would be a better option and label the SSR somehow?

Christmas Spirit member macebobo's Avatar
    I tried the couplers one year, and never again, they corrode like the devil. Now each year I do like Eagle and roll it up, but I store mine with the display element.
    Become an Honorary DIGWDF Engineer, I am!

My Software Links

"In a moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing to do, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing."
    -- Theodore Roosevelt
    "Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence."
    -- Hal Borland

Frosty member
    I'm the same as the guys before me. My SSR's all have custom length cables attached, and where practical, the SSR is attached to it's prop and gets put away that way. My Renard 64 controllers are in CG-2000 cases with the bottom holes left open (foam removed) and I just run the Cat5s up from the bottom and plug them in. I use Velcro ties on all my Cat5 cables so I'm not burning up zip ties or rubber bands (which don't last anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by jllracer55 View Post
    Hmm Im wondering if I need to be doing that.. although Im not real sure how I would roll up the cables from a renzilla at 96 channels.. what a Mess that would be.. I think glued to the SSR would be a better option and label the SSR somehow?
    Didn’t know we were talking about a Zilla. That’s a whole lot o cabling.

Old Man Winter member
    Yeah here is one cabled up..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Old Man Winter member
    Quote Originally Posted by macebobo View Post
    I tried the couplers one year, and never again, they corrode like the devil. Now each year I do like Eagle and roll it up, but I store mine with the display element.
    Yeah I dont even need them to corrode, right out of the package , half of them dont seem to want to work which is what spun my question to see what everyone else does with theirs.

Old Man Winter member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Didnít know we were talking about a Zilla. Thatís a whole lot o cabling.
    Although it is a lot of cabling and a lot of channels, it works well for me especially with my leaping arches and firesticks.. they are all side my side.. and consume almost the full 96 channels.

DIGWDF Engineer member dirknerkle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jllracer55 View Post
    Although it is a lot of cabling and a lot of channels, it works well for me especially with my leaping arches and firesticks.. they are all side my side.. and consume almost the full 96 channels.
    That's exactly the kind of use Renzilla was designed for -- a prop that requires a lot of channels in a relatively small space. Cool beans!
    Even though the DIGWDF Store has closed, it's still awesome! Thanks to all who have supported us through nearly 7 years of excitement!
    Parts of the store will remain open for downloading documentation, firmware and other files: http://digwdf.com/store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast