Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strip versus pixel Matrix

Senior Elf member
    My pixel matrix is about 10' from the road. My Window matrix is about 25' from the road. My MegaTree is about 40' from the road, set up as a conical matrix and I use 2" spacing on that.

This year, I used strip to make a 60x10 Matrix. I used 30/30 strip so the matrix ended up being about 6.5' long and 15" high. I mounted them to a piece of coro and weather sealed the strips. The pitch of the pixels is roughly 1.3" and my matrix is about 20ft from the road, 60ft from the other side of the road. I easily could run text across the matrix and it went together relatively easily. One note is that I believe both 30/30 and 60/60 strip use buck converters if they are running at 12v. This means that for my matrix, I could only cut the strip every 30 hence it being 60 pixels long.

That being said, I have also made a megatree out of pixel bullet nodes and the weather-sealing takes care of itself once you have the strings wired together and provides wider pixel spacing depending on viewing distance. This year I will be making a matrix out of P10 panels as I feel the price is comparable to 30/30 strip and the resolution is a lot higher. These two pictures show my matrix from both sides of the road:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pixel sign 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	11710

Name:	10x60 sign far.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	11711
    Rev. Jesse Nietzer
    "The LIGHT Has Come!"

christmaslights.nietzer.net
    Facebook

2017 Show- 2nd year with 42,000+ channels, 3,000 pixels, 2 P10 signs, sequenced on xLights, ran with FPP (1 master, 3 slaves), controlled by Falcon, PI Hat's and ESPixelSticks, enjoyed by many!
    2016 Show - 1st year with 5000 channels, sequenced on xLights, ran on FPP, controlled by Falcon, enjoyed by many

Christmas Spirit member
    Quote Originally Posted by jnietzer View Post
    This year, I used strip to make a 60x10 Matrix. I used 30/30 strip so the matrix ended up being about 6.5' long and 15" high. I mounted them to a piece of coro and weather sealed the strips. The pitch of the pixels is roughly 1.3" and my matrix is about 20ft from the road, 60ft from the other side of the road. I easily could run text across the matrix and it went together relatively easily. One note is that I believe both 30/30 and 60/60 strip use buck converters if they are running at 12v. This means that for my matrix, I could only cut the strip every 30 hence it being 60 pixels long.

That being said, I have also made a megatree out of pixel bullet nodes and the weather-sealing takes care of itself once you have the strings wired together and provides wider pixel spacing depending on viewing distance. This year I will be making a matrix out of P10 panels as I feel the price is comparable to 30/30 strip and the resolution is a lot higher. These two pictures show my matrix from both sides of the road:

Name:	pixel sign 2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	455.1 KB 
ID:	11710

Name:	10x60 sign far.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	11711
    I was under the impression that you could un-solder the buck converter, cut a section down to say 20, then re-solder the buck converter back in for a length of 50 pixels.

Christmas Spirit member
    I would not mind using the 30/30 to make a small matrix for text only.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter3125 View Post
    I was under the impression that you could un-solder the buck converter, cut a section down to say 20, then re-solder the buck converter back in for a length of 50 pixels.
    Yes, I do believe you can do this as well (though may be tough to move the buck converter in sleeve). On the other hand, the strip can be cut into shorter lengths if four wires are utilized (connecting 12v, ground, data and 5v). These strips can also be run on straight 5volt and ignoring the 12v input.
    Rev. Jesse Nietzer
    "The LIGHT Has Come!"

christmaslights.nietzer.net
    Facebook

2017 Show- 2nd year with 42,000+ channels, 3,000 pixels, 2 P10 signs, sequenced on xLights, ran with FPP (1 master, 3 slaves), controlled by Falcon, PI Hat's and ESPixelSticks, enjoyed by many!
    2016 Show - 1st year with 5000 channels, sequenced on xLights, ran on FPP, controlled by Falcon, enjoyed by many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12