Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 20W Flood RGB LED driver board (WS2811)

Rudolph member
    1. Inductors are sideways.
    2. No, 20W chips are much larger than 10W, so they will not fit 10W enclosures.
    3. They will work @27V, 30V is the absolute max, but I recommend keeping it near 24V.
    4. 20W boards do not have drivers/amplifiers, for now, only 50W have them, on the input and the output.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    1. Inductors are sideways.
    2. No, 20W chips are much larger than 10W, so they will not fit 10W enclosures.
    3. They will work @27V, 30V is the absolute max, but I recommend keeping it near 24V.
    4. 20W boards do not have drivers/amplifiers, for now, only 50W have them, on the input and the output.
    Im pretty certain you recommended 27v last year (I got a 27v transformer just for these, and I certainly wouldnt have done this myself).

Has anyone found a pin spot enclosure for these?

Quote Originally Posted by ronp5683 View Post
    Has anyone found a pin spot enclosure for these?
    No. And I tried pretty hard a year ago. I had a hard time finding appropriate lenses for them that was narrow enough. The other problem was even with the lenses I did find, although they were too wide to be useful for me, they focused each die in the led itself. Id clearly see the 6 separate squares of each color perfectly in focus. So it would need to be diffused first to mix the colors evenly before focusing that even field. That proved too tough for my diy optics skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudolph member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwinter View Post
    Im pretty certain you recommended 27v last year (I got a 27v transformer just for these, and I certainly wouldnt have done this myself).
    27V was recommended for 50W version.

Quote Originally Posted by Jchuchla View Post
    No. And I tried pretty hard a year ago. I had a hard time finding appropriate lenses for them that was narrow enough. The other problem was even with the lenses I did find, although they were too wide to be useful for me, they focused each die in the led itself. Id clearly see the 6 separate squares of each color perfectly in focus. So it would need to be diffused first to mix the colors evenly before focusing that even field. That proved too tough for my diy optics skills.
    Thanks for the quick response. I suspect I may play with the 3W LED's since therr are spot lenses available (and cheap) and I can daisy chain quite a few of them.

I use UV versions of the 3w leds for blacklight spots for halloween. I use those cheap, readily available lenses and they work really well. I haven't actually compared the datasheets, but I would think that 6 of the 3w RGB LEDs in series would be the electrical equivalent of the 20w COB package. You could probably use the same driver for an array of the 3w LEDs. I know there's also aluminum PCBs readily available (and also cheap) for the non-RGB 1w/3w leds. They fit perfectly in the 10W aluminum housings. I haven't looked to see if there's an RGB version of that PCB though.

Here's a circular version of that PCB made for RGB. https://www.ebay.com/itm/6W-RGB-Roun...5fc:rk:39:pf:0

Not seeing a rectangular version for the RGBs in a quick search but they're probably out there.

I was thinking more along the lines of a single 3W with a lens, and maybe a small servo so I can move it during the show. If anything interesting comes of it, I will start a new thread.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1W-3W-5W-Wa...frcectupt=true

I get it, you put several on one board for equivalent brightness.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678